Language selection


Admission requirements

Find admission and educational requirements for the Officer Training Program by province, for home schooled applicants and for students educated outside of Canada.

On this page

Conditions of employment

To apply to the Officer Training Program, you must meet the conditions of employment below. Some of these will be met throughout your admissions process:

Course prerequisites

All applicants need to successfully complete a high school diploma by June 30 of the intake year. Course prerequisites must be at the pre-university level suitable for post-secondary study in science or engineering with a grade of 70% or higher in each of these required courses:

The Canadian Coast Guard College reserves the right to decide what we’ll accept as an academic equivalency.

Prerequisites by province

Make sure you’re enrolled in the right course by checking your province’s requirements for admission below.


Required courses:

  • Physics 30
  • Mathematics 30-1 or 31
  • English or French 30-1
  • Chemistry 20 (for engineering program only)
British Columbia

Required courses:

  • Physics 12
  • Pre-calculus 12
  • English or French 12
  • Chemistry 11 (for engineering program only)

Required courses:

  • Physics 40s
  • Pre-calculus 40s
  • English or French 40s
  • Chemistry 30S (for engineering program only)
New Brunswick

Required courses for English sector:

  • Physics 121 or 122
  • Pre-calculus A120 and B120 or Calculus 120
  • English 121 or 122
  • Chemistry 111 or 112 (for engineering program only)

Required courses for French sector:

  • Physics 51421 or 51411
  • Mathematics 30421C or 30411C
  • French 10411 or 10421
  • Chemistry 52311 (for engineering program only)
Newfoundland and Labrador

Required courses:

  • Physics 3204
  • Mathematics 3200 or 3208
  • English or French 3201
  • Chemistry 2202 (for engineering program only)
Nova Scotia

Required courses:

  • Physics 12
  • Pre-calculus 12
  • English or French 12
  • Chemistry 11 (for engineering program only)

Required courses:

  • Physics SPH4U
  • Mathematics MCV4U or MHF4U
  • English ENG4U or French FRA4U
  • Chemistry SCH3U (for engineering program only)
Prince Edward Island

Required courses:

  • Physics 621A
  • Mathematics 621B or 611B
  • English or French 621A
  • Chemistry 521A (for engineering program only)

Required courses from secondary 5:

  • Physics 534 (053504)
  • Math: Technical Science (064506) or Math: Natural Science (065506)
  • English or French (132506)
  • Chemistry 534 (051504) (for engineering program only)

Required courses:

  • Physics 30
  • Pre-calculus 30
  • English or French A30 and B30
  • Physical Science 20

Current high school students

Current high school students must provide an up-to-date transcript of completed courses and proof of enrollment in Grade 12 or Secondary 5. We’ll accept the following as proof of enrollment:

You will need to stay in touch throughout the school year, and provide us with:

High school graduates

You must provide a high school transcript and any post-secondary transcripts demonstrating you have met the course requirements from your province.

Upgrading course requirements

Applicants who are upgrading courses need to provide a high school transcript and proof of enrollment in the required courses.

Throughout your academic semester, you’ll need to submit a mid-year grade report and final transcript upon course completion.

Home schooling

Applicants who have been home schooled will be considered individually and must possess the equivalent of a high school diploma. You’ll need to provide a high school transcript showing that you have met our course prerequisites.

Current students must provide an up-to-date transcript with proof of enrollment in these courses. Admissions may request course outlines and descriptions to ensure course content meets our educational requirements.

Non-Canadian education systems

Applicants who were educated outside of Canada are required to meet the standards indicated in the Canadian education system. You must:

International equivalency reports can be obtained through the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials. We’ll accept any of the following:

Date modified: