Language selection


Tank truck to marine vessel - Oil transfer
5. Tank Trucks

Table of Content

This section covers the regulations governing tank truck drivers as well as qualifications and insurance needed by drivers in order to be in compliance with the law. Safety equipment required on the vehicle is also discussed.

5.1 Driver Qualifications

Drivers must be properly trained as follows:

5.2 Regulations

Tank truck construction, operation, inspection and maintenance are regulated by Fire Codes, TDG and other regulations. Drivers must understand and comply with the applicable requirements of these regulations.


Any truck not meeting all applicable legal requirements is not to be loaded with dangerous goods.

5.3 Fire Extinguishers

All trucks must carry at least one approved fire extinguisher rated at least 20 BC in compliance with Fire Codes.

During unloading, the fire extinguisher is to be removed from the truck and placed in an immediately accessible position near the driver during unloading.

5.4 Truck Pumps

Truck-mounted pumps can yield high pressures resulting in hose ruptures and fitting failures. The truck pump pressure-relief should be set to prevent excessive pressure.

Suggested maximum pumping pressure is 400 kPa (60 psi). This will allow pumping into above-ground tanks while not exceeding the working pressure of properly-rated hoses and nozzles.

The pump system should be tested periodically to ensure the pressure-relief is working and is properly limiting the pump discharge pressure.


Pressures must not exceed the lowest rated capacity of the hose, nozzle and fittings.

The operating speed of the truck pump should not exceed the manufacturer's recommended speed which; in most cases, is 900 RPM.

5.5 Insurance

The following are four types of insurance generally available to drivers involved in oil transfer operations.

5.5.1 Automobile 3rd - Party Liability

Covers collision damage to others caused by the tank truck

5.5.2 Commercial General Liability (CGL)

5.5.3 Cargo Insurances

5.5.4 Pollution Insurance

Most truck operators carry liability insurance but not all carry pollution insurance.

Carrier's insurance requirements are normally set out by the shipper of the product.


Some insurance companies will impose restrictions on coverage, such as excluding loading and unloading activities. Insurance companies generally assume all tank truck activities are on land; truck operators should notify their insurance agent if they will be transferring oil over water.

Date modified: