Environmental Response student program
For more information you can email us at DFO.CCGStudentRecruitmentProgram-ProgrammeDeRecrutementDetudiant
Our Environmental Response student program offers real-time experience in Environmental response operations, including:
- supporting operations
- responding to active pollution incidents
- contributing to pollution response planning
Canadian Coast Guard senior response officers train and mentor our student crew members. The Environmental response program is a part of the Canadian Coast Guard Incident Management Service.
What you will do
After successfully completing your training, we’ll assign you to various environmental response activities. You’ll work with regional environmental response teams to ensure the clean-up of a ship-sourced pollution incidents.
As response personnel, you’ll participate in tasks such as:
- administrative support
- operational logistics support
- limited operational responses, including:
- taking photographs
- transporting personnel
- deployment of pre-staged Environmental response equipment located on the site
Income, hours, locations and benefits
We offer students competitive wages that increase as you become more experienced.
Hours of work vary by position, but students usually work a 37.5 hour week from Monday to Friday. Sometimes you may be asked to work longer or be on standby during the weekend or in case of emergency. Environmental response incidents can occur at any time during all types of weather.
As part of the response personnel, the regional program coordinator will assign you to work in one of these regions:
- Atlantic Region:
- Maritimes Sector (Dartmouth)
- Newfoundland & Labrador Sector (St. John’s)
- Central and Arctic Region:
- Great Lakes Sector (Sarnia)
- St. Lawrence Sector (Québec City)
- Western Region (Victoria)
- exploring your interests
- enriching your academic program
- developing your employability skills
- getting insight into a career as a federal public servant
After successfully completing your work assignments and educational program, you could receive an appointment to a permanent employment entry level developmental program.
- Date modified: