What careers are available in administration?
The Canadian Coast Guard is looking for young dynamic professionals in a number of fields like finance, administration, planning, human resources, communications, and information technology.
Your responsibilities will depend on your position. Depending on the field, you could be required to:
- conduct analyses, research, and consultations
- participate in work groups
- prepare various documents like business plans, annual reports, and investment strategies
- hire and manage other employees
Where will I work?
We offer career opportunities throughout Canada. Administration positions may be based at National Headquarters (in Ottawa, Ontario), at the Canadian Coast Guard College (in Sydney, Nova Scotia), or in one of the Coast Guard’s centers across the country:
- British Columbia
- Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec
- New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island
- various positions with the Canadian Coast Guard
- various positions in the federal public service
Income and benefits
An administration position offers a competitive salary and benefits. The average annual salary ranges from roughly $38,000 to $97,000 (based on experience and time worked). Please see the collective agreement for current salary rates.
Hours of work
Administration employees usually work a 37.5 hour week from Monday to Friday.
Is this career right for me?
These qualities and interests are essential for this career:
- teamwork and cooperation
- leadership and initiative
- communication skills
- computer skills (Microsoft Office and other related software)
Training and education requirements
To work in administration with the Canadian Coast Guard, you must have a high school diploma. Many administration positions also require post-secondary education.
To join the Canadian Coast Guard in administration, you must meet all requirements. You must then apply through jobs.gc.ca (do not apply directly to the Coast Guard).
Please note: Résumés and applications are accepted only when the recruitment poster is advertised on jobs.gc.ca. Applications are not kept on file for future recruitment selection processes.
- Date modified: